The Most Flattering Pleated Skirt for you.Sunday, March 20, 2016
If you've been with us for a while, you may have noticed our affinity towards turning runway styles into something we can wear in our day to day lives. This time around, we tried our hands at the pleats trend which has been just about everywhere, from Issey Miyake's micro pleats to Stella McCartney's slinky pleats.
The best part about adjusting runways trends to your own wardrobe is the freedom to experiment with variations that will look best on your body type. Here are some tips and tricks on how to choose the right kind of pleats for you!
- The best way to distinguish if a certain piece of pleats is flattering you is through the hem line. If thighs and hips are the problem area for you, avoid shorter hemlines. Extra material of the pleats on shorter skirts can add a bulky appearance to your physique.
- If you want to channel the more easy-breezy route, choosing a midi hemline can achieve the ethereal effect you're hoping for and also throw it back to the 1920's flapper dress vibes.
- When choosing longer hemlines, pair with stilettos or a chunky high heel to avoid falling into the 'granny dress' category.
- Another great way to avoid adding bulk around the waist is by opting for narrowly pressed down pleats around the waist.
- Once you've got the skirt down pat, its time to choose the top. A slightly longer, snugly fit top is a great way to add a slimming effect to your hips. As I mentioned earlier, I adored Stella McCartney choice of pleated co-ordinates and tried to emulate that in the outfit above.
Hope you ladies enjoy strutting about in your pleats, whichever you choose to go for!