How to Wear Velvet in Summer CasuallyMonday, April 17, 2017
A fabric that is extremely unforgiving and commonly worn in winter – that is until now.
If you thought velvet and scorching summers couldn’t mix, you’re definitely in for a surprise. The winter staple has entered the summer arena and everyone from Kendall Jenner to Emily Ratajkowski is rocking it. But wearing velvet in warmer weather doesn’t come without its warnings. Stick to these pointers and you’ll be working this look just like the pop culture icons who inspired you.
1. Breezy silhouettes
Advising you to wear breezy silhouettes in summer certainly isn’t ground breaking but given the texture of this fabric, sticking to this is key. Tight velvet dresses and sweaty afternoon soirees are a no-no. Choose an easy-breezy dress or a skirt instead, or opt for a funky pair of flared pants.
2. Pastel colours
Once again, the pastels/summer combination isn’t a breakthrough in fashion either however it definitely deserves a special mention here. Velvet in dark blues, greens, purples and black should be reserved for when you’re channeling grunge queen Cara Delavigne. In summer, go for pinks and yellows instead.
3. Minimal accessories
Keeping in line with the ‘chilled out summer vibe’, go easy with the footwear. I’m thinking simple flats and strappy sandals. Avoid heels, even the strappy variety till autumn.
P.S. Don’t use my bare feet above as inspiration, my lack of footwear was strictly for the photographic aesthetic!
4. Skin show
When the weather’s hot, it’s easy to show skin so this step will be easy to follow. As with any tricky fabric (see all over sequins, brocade & satin), less is more. A little skin-show via a deeper neckline or a slit in the hem will balance out the look and prevent you from drowning in all that rich fabric. If as suggested above, you're opting for velvet pants or longer skirts, pair them with a white tee or crop.
Do share below your tips on wearing velvet or link us your favourite velvet outfit below!
- Aesthetic Distance: Did The Royal Family Kill A Top Influencer's Blog?
- April Was Here: Embroidered Top
- A Well Styled Life: Look of the Week: Soft and Feminine
- Chiconomical: Three Ways to Wear: A White Long Kurta
- Everest Says: Joyous Movement in Style | Aldo Spring/Summer 2017
- Fash Chronicles: Must-Have Spring Accessories
- Gutterfashion: Thrifted: Loving Yourself in a World That Doesn't
- Hampton Roads Fashion & Style: J.Jill Linen Shirtdress
- Jamie on Things: 3 Ways to Wear - Shoulder Frills
- Jeff on the Road: Lookbook: Burberry Trench & Sneakers
- Konscious VYB: Pretty In Pink...Spring's Next "It" Color
- Kouture Kitten: Fashion Blogging Hacks: Things Fashion Bloggers Do to Make Life a Bit Easier
- La Veine: Things You Should Know Before Creating Your Fashion Blog
- Maggie Morena: Blue Striped with a Fuchsia Touch
- Middle of Somewhere: Denim Overalls & The Weekly Style Edit Link Up
- Modernly Michelle: Falling into Spring - T Shirt Dress + Boots
- Say Curls: Mon Paris
- Style Splash: Finding the Perfect Spring Coat
- The Sweet Painted Lady: The A-Z Guide of Autumn / Winter Style
- Tales of Two: How to Casually Wear Velvet in Summer